PennDOT Bulletin 23-21 - Registration Plate Replacement Fees
Recently, PennDOT revised and created several forms to assist processors and to provide clarity to customers when requesting a replacement registration plate. These changes will help streamline our process, provide clarity when a fee is due with an application and make it easier for our customers to understand the forms.
When a customer is requesting to replace their current illegible registration plate, the illegible registration plate will be replaced with the next in series registration plate of the same style of registration plate that was previously issued to the customer. If the illegible registration plate was personalized, the registration plate will be replaced with the same style and configuration.
If a customer is requesting the illegible plate be replaced with the same configuration as their current plate but it was not previously personalized, they will be required to pay the personalization fee.
If the registration plate is lost, stolen or defaced, the customer will have their registration plate replaced with the next in series registration plate of the same style previously issued to the customer but will be required to pay the $13 replacement fee. If the registration plate has been redesigned the customer will receive the new design. If the registration plate is no longer available, a standard issue registration plate will be
Personalized registration plates that are lost or stolen cannot be replaced. The customer is eligible for a free personalized replacement; however, a new personalized configuration will be required.
Below is a table that can be used to reference when a fee is due for a replacement.
|Plate Type||Next in Series
|Next in Series
|Standard||$13||Free replacement||Free replacement||Free replacement|
|Legislative||Free replacement||N/A||Free replacement||N/A|
|Military/Specialty||$13||Free replacement||Free replacement||Free replacement|
|Special Org||$13||Free replacement||Free replacement||Free replacement|
|Special Fund||$13||Free replacement||Free replacement||Free replacement|
As noted above, PennDOT revised and created several forms to assist processors and to provide clarity to customers when requesting replacement registration plate and/or product.
Form MV-44, "Application for Duplicate Registration Card or Replacement of Lost, Stolen or Defaced Registration Plate," has been revised. The new edition date is 07-23 and is now available on PennDOT's website at www.dmv.pa.gov. The following changes were made:
- Form was updated to remove the option of replacing illegible registration plates or never received products.
- The MV-44 will usually require a FEE when it is submitted for processing. There is no longer an option for the customer to receive a free illegible registration plate or never received product when the MV-44 is submitted. NOTE: The only time the fee will not be required is when the request is being made for the replacement of a lost, stolen or defaced personalized registration plate.
- The MV-46 may require a FEE when it is submitted. When the MV-46 is submitted for processing, the registration plate will always be replaced for the customer at no cost. NOTE: This form only requires a fee when a duplicate registration card is being requested
- The form has also been updated to allow for a customer to receive the same style (tag type) registration plate when replacing their illegible registration plate.
- The vehicle owner must take this form, MV-46, to any official Pennsylvania Certified Inspection Station for verification that their registration plate is illegible OR have a law enforcement official verify the need for a replacement registration plate on form MV- 46.
- The vehicle owner is then responsible for signing and returning completed form to Penn DOT in order to receive a replacement registration plate free of charge.
- Form was update from the previous Form MV-46 to the MV-461. This Form will remain as a postcard and exclusively used by inspection stations.
- The MV-50 may or may not require a fee. Customers are entitled to a free reissuance of a product they never received if an application for a never received product is submitted within 90 days of the original issuance date.
- If a customer submits the application outside of the 90 days, the customer must submit the applicable fee for the product they are requesting along with the application.
- The cost of a replacement registration plate is $13, and the cost of a replacement registration card is $7.